Thursday, January 26, 2017

The Top Moment of 2016...

My top moment of 2016 was definitely the decision to "Hang up my Stimpmeter". It certainly was a difficult decision to end my career as a golf course superintendent. I had been thinking about it for a couple of years. After 45 years of working on the golf course, it was time.

I'll always remember that moment when it hit me. It was June 9th, we had a lightning ground strike that blew our main VFD drive. Of course, we were also in a stretch of incredibly hot and dry weather. Working to keep the golf course alive during that 3-4 day stretch during repairs was extremely taxing. At that time it just hit me hard....I don't want to do this anymore. Not wanting to make an on the spot decision, I let myself cool down from the VFD aftermath, but nothing changed my mind.

June 9, 2016 - Never a good day when the pump service trucks are at your pump station. 
Its been an incredible run for me. I have always loved the game of golf as well as managing the golf course. I have met people from around the globe through this profession and cherish those relationships. I'm extremely proud of my accomplishments throughout my career. I won't disappear. My future in the business is presently a work in progress with some exciting things in the works. I want to thank all the individuals who have worked for me through the years. I might have been the "head coach" but couldn't have accomplish anything without "great players".....thank you all.

Thanks to all...you are only as good as your team.
 I want to thank the Country Club of the Rockies for entrusting me with this wonderful property for the last 22 years. Thanks also for the nice send off last month, very much appreciated!


A wonderful gift to hang on my home office wall, hole #12, it just doesn't get any better than that!

Great to have my family with me for the festivities. The biggest supporters of my career.

Extremely pleased with the hiring of my long time assistant, Carey Hofner to fill my shoes.
 I have really been floored with the amount of well wishes over the past few months. Thank you all. Many superintendents have "opened up" to me about their situation as well and I'm humbled. I was fortunate to be a guest of a podcast hosted by Dave Wilbur, known in the turf world as the "Turfgrass Zealot". The number of comments I have received from this has been astonishing. I thank you all for the wonderful words. I also want the thank Dave Wilbur for having me as his guest. If you haven't listened, click here:
http://www.turfnet.com/blog/5/entry-1338-the-turfgrass-zealot-project-ep-27-with-guest-kevin-ross-of-cc-of-the-rockies/


The comments that this podcast created have truly been very humbling.
This is just one on many comments about the podcast that really hit me. Thanks Jason!
One last note as I conclude this post.....To my wife Karen, daughter Abby, and my son Nick, I can't thank you enough for all the love and support through the years! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment